Capps et. al. v. Safariland, LLC
– Read Details On Monday, March 12, 2018, Yukevich | Cavanaugh obtained a full defense verdict for its client in Capps et. al. v. Safariland, LLC. Plaintiff Sandra Capps, a Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputy of 28 years, accidentally shot herself in the calf. She and her husband sought more than $2.5M, based on product liability design defect, and loss of consortium. A second sheriff’s deputy, of 31 years, Michael Lorenzi, also sued for $100,000, based on product liability design defect and negligent infliction of emotional distress.
March 12, 2018 Steven D. Smelser,
Bobbie N. Eftekar,
Mitchell R. Charchalis
Jose Linares v. Crown Equipment Corporation
– Read Details On February 28, 2018, following a seven-day trial, a federal jury took fewer than 45 minutes to render a unanimous defense verdict in favor of Crown Equipment Corporation. The case was tried in the United States District Court for the Central District of California (Riverside), before U.S. District Judge Jesus Bernal.
February 28, 2018 Todd A. Cavanaugh,
Paul C. White
Tieu v. Sina International, Inc. Admitted liability bus accident resulting in fatal injuries to a passenger. Secured favorable verdict after jury trial.
Riverside, California – February 16, 2018
Doyma Vanessa Michel v. United States of America, et al.
– Read Details On October 31, 2017, Yukevich | Cavanaugh achieved a significant victory for Safariland, LLC in the matter of Doyma Vanessa Michel v. United States of America, et al. The United States District Court Southern District of California granted a motion for summary judgment dismissing all claims against Safariland.
October 31, 2017 Steven D. Smelser,
Bobbie N. Eftekar
Herod v. PDC et al.
– Read Details Yukevich | Cavanaugh achieved a significant victory for Parfums De Coeur, LTD. Corporation - Motion for Summary Judgment won
August 31, 2017 Cristina M. Ciminelli
Grossman v. The Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District
– Read Details Yukevich | Cavanaugh achieved a significant victory for Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District - Motion for Summary Judgment won
April 20, 2017 Cristina M. Ciminelli
Hendelman v. Mammoth Mountain Ski Area, LLC et al. Alleged brain injury arising from snowmobile accident. Favorable settlement two weeks into jury trial.
Mono County, California – November 10, 2014
Anthony Marquez v. Chevron U.S.A, Inc. et. al.
– Read Details Santa Monica Jury Rejects Asbestos Claim Against Landowner. Defense verdict.
October 6, 2014 James J. Yukevich
Rebecca Osborne v. Todd Farm Service, et al.
– Read Details Judge Grants Motion for Terminating Sanctions and Dismisses Entire Action with Prejudice During Plaintiff’s Case-in-Chief.
Ventura, California – July 30, 2014 James J. Yukevich,
Cristina M. Ciminelli
Garcia v. Ford Motor Company
– Read Details Multiple-vehicle accident, alleged design defect in restraints system and crashworthiness, plaintiffs alleged neck, spine and rib fractures. Result: Defense verdict.
September 26, 2013 Steven D. Smelser
Kransky v. DePuy Orthopaedics Inc.
– Read Details Plaintiff alleged defective metal hip caused severe physical injury.
March, 2013 , Alexander Calfo
Runflat America, LLC v. Michelin North America, Inc. et al. Shareholder derivative action alleging trade libel, interference with contractual relations, and violation of California Unfair Competition Law. Result: Demurrer sustained without leave to amend and affirmed on appeal.
Los Angeles, California Todd A. Cavanaugh
McGowan v. Par 3 Landscape Corporation Admitted-liability case in which plaintiff sought damages for neck/back injuries, leading to cervical fusion surgery, allegedly sustained in two-vehicle accident; plaintiff’s counsel asked jury to award more than $6 million in damages. Result: Verdict of $85,000.
Las Vegas, Nevada Todd A. Cavanaugh
Goldberg v. Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company et al.
– Read Details Wrongful death action arising out of a plane crash. Plaintiffs alleged a hotel concierge negligently referred guests to air charter company. Defense verdict.
Long Beach, California – 2012 Thomas Borncamp, Alexander Calfo
Imaging Advisor, Inc. v. General Plastic Industrial Co., Ltd.
– Read Details Alleged breach of consulting contract, where plaintiff alleged in excess of $4 million in damages. Favorable judgment after bench trial.
Orange County, California – 2012
Pappalardo v. Easton-Bell Sports, Inc. et al.
– Read Details Putative federal class action brought by parents who purchased composite youth baseball bats. Suit alleged false advertising, consumer fraud, and breach of warranties. Case dismissed at pleading stage.
United States District Court, D. New Jersey – December 23, 2011 Thomas Borncamp
Clarendon National Ins. Co. v. Ford Motor Company Garage and vehicle fire alleged to have been caused by a recalled speed control component. Result: Defense verdict.
El Centro, California – 2009 Steven D. Smelser
Jones v. American Honda Motor Co., Inc. Single-vehicle rollover accident, alleged design defects in roof structure, plaintiff sustained spinal injury resulting in quadriplegia. Result: Defense verdict.
Los Angeles, California James J. Yukevich,
Todd A. Cavanaugh,
Delmar S. Thomas
National RV Co. v. Crane Corp. Action for breach of contract and fraud regarding sidewall materials on 73 motor homes. Plaintiff sought $28 million in compensatory damages, plus punitive damages and attorney fees. $3.5 million verdict.
U.S. District Court, Riverside, CA – 2008 , Alexander Calfo
Gaudry v. Honda Motor Co., Ltd. Two-vehicle accident alleged design and warning defects in Honda Reflex scooter, plaintiff sustained severe leg injury requiring amputation. Result: Defense verdict.
Burbank, California James J. Yukevich,
Todd A. Cavanaugh
Arroyo v. Ford Motor Company Single-vehicle accident following claimed unintended acceleration, alleged cruise control system defect, moderate injuries, punitive damages allegations. Result: Defense verdict.
Miami, Florida James J. Yukevich,
Todd A. Cavanaugh
Hidaka/Hartman v. Michelin North America, Inc. Verdicts & Decisions – 2006 James J. Yukevich
Cabrera v. Isuzu Motors, Ltd. Sport-utility vehicle rollover, alleged seat defect, catastrophic injuries, punitive damages allegations. Mistrial due to hung jury; directed verdict for defense on punitive damages claim.
Los Angeles, California – 2005 James J. Yukevich
Watts v. Ford Motor Company Single-vehicle accident following claimed unintended acceleration, alleged cruise control system defect, catastrophic injury. Result: Defense verdict.
Sacramento, California James J. Yukevich,
Todd A. Cavanaugh
Carver v. Michelin North America Pick-up truck rollover, alleged tire defect, quadriplegic injury. Settled during trial.
San Diego, California – 2001 James J. Yukevich,
Reyes v. Hyundai Motor Company Single-vehicle accident, fatal injury to parent, catastrophic injuries to minor, multiple alleged crashworthiness defects. Defense verdict.
Orange County, California – 2001 James J. Yukevich,
Jenkins v. Hyundai Motor Company Single-vehicle accident, alleged roof and restraint system defects, quadriplegic injury. Defense verdict.
Rancho Cucamonga, California – 1997 James J. Yukevich
Park v. Mazda Motor Corporation Minivan rollover, seatbelted child ejected, alleged restraint system defect, severe head injury. Defense verdict.
Riverside, California – 1995 James J. Yukevich
Moore v. American Honda Motor Co., Inc. All-terrain vehicle accident, alleged stability and warning defects, catastrophic spinal cord injury. Defense verdict.
San Francisco, California – 1993 James J. Yukevich