Mr. Hoffman specializes in handling intellectual property, business, product liability, unfair competition, and other complex commercial disputes. Representing clients in the technology, biotechnology, consumer products, medical devices, and entertainment industries, Mr. Hoffman is sought after for his sound judgment, business-oriented vision, and track record of outstanding results.
Recognized as a 2018 and 2019 “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers Magazine, Mr. Hoffman has earned trial victories in both state and federal courts, prevailed as lead appellate counsel in the California Court of Appeal, and won a precedential decision before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB). He has significant experience litigating intellectual property disputes, including copyright infringement, trademark infringement, trade secret misappropriation, patent infringement, unfair competition, cybersquatting, and right of publicity actions. In the area of product liability, Mr. Hoffman has successfully defended some of the world’s largest product manufacturers in complex disputes, including in multijurisdictional proceedings.
Mr. Hoffman is a 2011 graduate of UCLA School of Law, where he was a member of the UCLA Journal of Law and Technology. Prior to law school, he earned a BS in biochemistry, also from UCLA, and worked at a biotechnology company developing screening tests for HIV and HPV. In the community, Mr. Hoffman volunteers with Bet Tzedek Legal Services, helping Los Angeles families to secure care for those with physical, developmental, or intellectual disabilities.
- Represented agricultural company and its president in an action involving fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and a contract dispute. As trial counsel (second chair) and lead appellate counsel, won and then upheld a $5 million judgment, the rights to all intellectual property at issue, and a permanent injunction.
- Represented commercial property management company in defense of a multi-million dollar lawsuit. Won summary judgment and then prevailed in affirming summary judgment on appeal.
Intellectual Property Litigation
- Represented entertainment company in a trademark action involving the rights to the Rin Tin Tin film franchise. As trial counsel (second chair), prevailed in a bench trial and earned cancellation of nine competing trademarks.
- Represented medical device manufacturer in a trial before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB). Prevailed in a published decision, successfully blocking registration of the mark MEDICAL EXTRUSION TECHNOLOGIES.
- Represented popular children’s brand in a copyright and trade dress infringement action involving toys and crafts. As trial counsel, Mr. Hoffman successfully settled the case after a week of jury trial during his cross-examination of the opposing toy company’s President and CEO.
- Represented global apparel manufacturer in a copyright and trademark infringement action filed by DC Comics and Warner Bros. Entertainment involving the Superman Shield. Successfully obtained dismissal.
Product Liability Litigation
- Represents one of the world’s largest medical device manufacturers in multijurisdictional product liability litigation.
- Represented global forklift manufacturer in several product liability lawsuits, including multiple cases ending in defense verdicts.